WELCOME TO CHESUNCOOK LAKE BOOMHOUSE
The Chesuncook Boom House sits on a high point of land at the place where Chesuncook Lake meets Ripogenus Lake. It is surrounded by water on three sides. In 1916, the house and barn were moved to this location from Ripogenous Lake, in order to avoid flooding when Ripogenous Dam became operational. At this time, the house was more than doubled in length to accommodate the sleeping and dining needs of up to 24 men. The building was equipped with electrical generation, steam heat, and a horse barn. This location offers outstanding views of the back side of the Katahdin Range and the length of Chesuncook Lake.
This is the site of the original Chesuncook Dam, built in 1834. There were many additions and rebuilds over the years, with the final Dam built in 1903. For 150 years, this area was rich in the history of driving both long logs and four foot pulp until the final log drive in 1971.
Recent restoration projects at Chesuncook include new septic and plumbing, fresh paint on the house and barn, replacement of a foundation wall and the restoration of the original wrap-around porch.
When our curator/caretaker is in residence, the museum is open daily to the public from May 15 to September 15. Otherwise we are open by chance or appointment. Admission is free and donations are always appreciated.
Directions: Turn off the Golden Rd at mile marker 32. Please see the map below or contact us with your questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
ARTIFACTS IN THE BARN
ART AT THE BOOMHOUSE